Sunday, February 1, 2009

We’re adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? #2

So it’s been over a week since I’ve posted my first blog…the first few weeks of school have been busier (and crazier) than I thought. But now I am sitting on the couch, munching on chips & salsa, and (kind of) watching the Super Bowl, so I thought this is probably as good a time as any to blog. I am a shameless multitasker, but it’s probably better that I write a blog while eating & watching the Super Bowl than trying to read for class.

This entry will not have a lot to do with job searching, but since it’s early, I thought that would hopefully be okay. In this post, I want to discuss my issues with blogging.

First…
This blogging experience is a bit out of character for me. I am by nature a very private person. It takes me a long time to warm up to people and for them to figure out I am not really as shy as they first think I am (Is that grammatically correct? Maybe not. Oh well.). So when I applied to blog, I thought it would be easy to remain completely anonymous & that I wouldn’t want to tell anyone I know that I was a blogger. Boy, was I wrong. As soon as I found out I was chosen to blog, I wanted to tell EVERYONE. I was at work, so the first person I thought to share the news with was my supervisor. It took me all of 2 seconds to realize that was probably not a good idea. What if I wanted to complain about *Jim in the blog? (*Names will be changed in this blog to protect people’s identities.) I also realized I didn’t really want to tell everyone, especially those I work with or go to class with everyday. So I settled for telling my friend from undergrad and…I did tell my boyfriend because I tell him most things. This doesn’t mean I won’t be writing about him, but I thought I would give him fair warning. Also, he is pretty easy-going and I don’t think he’ll actually ever look up the blog to read it.

Second…
I had trouble coming up with a title for this blog. I wanted to be creative, but at the moment of posting, the juices weren’t flowing. A few ideas:

If you’re going through hell…keep on going – You know, from the Rodney Atkins song, since I figured job searching is sometimes like hell. But then I thought “No, too negative. Let’s not scare people off.”

Searching for the perfect fit – Referencing the search for the institution/job that seems like it exists just for you (most high school students also go through this search deciding where to attend college). “Eh. A little too boring.”

Please, God, let me survive – Again, too negative or possibly, whiney

PROCESS – Enough said.

Growing up and moving on… - Too cliché

So I ended up with one of my favorite quotes from Grey’s Anatomy as the title. Not super creative, but it’s what I’m stuck with now.

Third…
How do I enthrall and entertain my readers, but also maintain my anonymity? It’s a fine line to walk. I do not want to reveal information that would blatantly give me away to people in my program if they happen to read this. Like I said, I am a private person, so I’d like to be able to write what I want without fear of “getting caught”.

My boyfriend just went crazy because Arizona got a safety. We are rooting for the underdog. All righty, that’s enough for today. More on the actual job search later this week…

2 comments:

  1. I've been in the same boat and without telling anybody, my cohort swore that they figured it out. Just claim ignorance, you'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - I will try that if it ever comes up!

    ReplyDelete