Friday, January 30, 2009

Pat #2: Taking the Plunge

My need for unnecessary organization is really starting to delay my job search. Lately I've been obsessing over my resume, changing the layout and toying with different quantities of white space. I printed out descriptions for a bagillion jobs...some of which I am actually qualified for.

Now enter more job search O.C.D.

The descriptions are categorized by functional area and are marked with a color-coded "sticky note" system that I don't even understand. Downside? A binder filled with neon pink and orange post-its isn't going to make a search committee say, "She's the one!!!"

Last night I decided it was time to take the plunge. After a few minutes of reading and highlighting posts from HigherEdJobs.com, I found The One. When I was skimming through the qualifications, I felt like I was reading my own resume:

1) Facilitating career-related workshops (check); 2) Planning job fairs & special events (check); 3) experience leading & managing volunteers (check); 4) knowledge of career development theory (check); 5) resume writing (check); 6) supervisory experience (check).

Stellar cover letter and resume submitted to The Institution (check).

It's a weird feeling; kind of like taking a test. A weight is lifted after you're done-- but you are uncertain about when you'll receive feedback. When you find a job that could potentially fit you so well, a potential let down could hurt even more.

But hey, the Millennial in me says, "I'm special. They'd be crazy not to offer me a job."

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on applying to your first job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am probably old enough to be your mom but I am going to follow your journey. It looks like it may be interesting and we are sort of in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey "Pat"! We are going to be blogging buddies. I really loved your first blog. I am a little OCD with things too...but it look like you get me beat in the job searching color-coding arena. Good luck! (P.S. I need a good pseudonym
    like you have...so I can call myself by my "name" in my blog)

    ReplyDelete