Monday, February 16, 2009

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? #4

Do you know what I hate? That sometimes applying for jobs is such a waste of time. They want you to have experience before you have a job. But how are you going to get experience if no one will hire you first without experience?

I also hate universities’ online job databases. It’s so tedious to enter in all your personal, work and education information. It’s a repeat of what’s on your resume! WHY CAN’T THEY JUST LOOK AT YOUR RESUME? Furthermore, as you are not supposed to lie on your resume, I also don’t lie when I answer the “supplemental questions” for positions I apply for in online job databases. “Do you have one year of academic advising experience?” Hmm. I have experience advising students, but it is actually academic advising? No. So I check “no” and get automatically rejected. “Sorry, but you do not meet the minimum job qualifications.” BS. What about all my other experience in higher education/student affairs? Doesn’t it count for anything? I am sure it is transferrable to academic advising! Just take a look at my resume, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, no, I am rejected. What a great way to weed out possible good candidates/fits for that position. Just because a person doesn’t have that specific experience, doesn’t mean they wouldn’t do a great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment