Thursday, February 19, 2009

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? #5

Since I am geographically limited, I decided to think outside the proverbial higher ed box in order to expand my job options. What did I come up with? AmeriCorps VISTA.

AmeriCorps VISTA is a national service program for 18-24 year olds interested in volunteerism. VISTAs work in collaboration with nonprofit organizations or local government agencies working on a variety of projects from literacy to health care to Habitat for Humanity. What is great for me is how VISTAs work with colleges and universities. These VISTAs have projects that range from coordinating service-learning or a volunteer corps for an entire campus to working with a specific group of students who complete various volunteer projects throughout the academic year. A VISTA working at a college/university is provided room and board by the university, and a stipend and health insurance from AmeriCorps. VISTAs usually work for one year and after that year of service they also receive an end-of-service stipend or education award (which can be used to pay back federal loans). What is great for me is I know of several area schools that house VISTAs.

Although I do not have much experience with service-learning or volunteerism (my experience is limited to a church missions trip during my freshman year of high school, serving Thanksgiving meals to the poor at a local church, and wrapping a whole bunch of presents for a charity’s Christmas giveaway to poor, local families), it is something I have always been interested in doing more of. A VISTA position would be an excellent opportunity to:
1) Gain experience in an area of interest
2) Be challenged and learn a lot
3) Stay in the area
4) Did I mention the benefits? Who wants to pass up free housing and food? Plus more. It’s like residence life without well….all the residence life stuff: on-call duty, RA supervision, etc. Okay, so maybe it’s only similar to residence life in that your room and board is paid for. But that’s amazing!

The positions haven’t been posted yet, so I can’t apply until probably the beginning of March, but learning about these VISTA opportunities has given me hope that I have recently lacked. Therefore, I am going to continue to search for more “outside the box” opportunities while also applying for student affairs jobs that become available.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I love this idea and it is so unique! Definitely not your cookie-cutter job, but still definitely in the field.

    I am impressed with your "outside the box" skills!

    Keep up the job search!

    ReplyDelete