Thursday, June 4, 2009

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? #17

It’s interesting how every on-campus interview is different. Actually, it’s interesting how, in general, every interview process is different. For example:

1) Some institutions call references BEFORE the on-campus interview and some only call AFTER the on-campus interview
2) Some institutions skip the phone interview all together. I’ve had two of those.
3) My on-campus interviews have ranged from 2 hours (no tour, only met with two different groups of people) to half day (tour, interview with the office staff, meet the head honcho, meet with HR) to a full day interview where (I am sure my fellow job seekers will agree with this metaphor) they run you through the gauntlet. During one interview, I met with 3-4 groups with 6-7 different staff members, faculty members and students. Throw in an individual interview with the office director and then the department Dean/VP/Chancellor/whatever they call it, a campus tour and a lunch and you are ready for a nap. It’s like working an 8-hour a day without getting paid.
4) Some institutions have you meet with HR and some don’t. I like it when they do because I can ask about and understand the salary and benefits earlier.

Speaking of salary and benefits…negotiating is something I have never done before and which makes me NERVOUS. They say women are the worst at negotiating and don’t do it as much as they should. I have plenty of handouts of the subject, but when I am actually attempting it (if that day ever comes) I might pee my pants. Okay, hopefully not, but I know I will at least be shaking and red-faced, so it’s a good thing negotiations occur over the phone. If anyone has any tips, please feel free to share them!!!! They are most welcome!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Can you provide some info regarding the handouts for negotiations? I have nothing!

    ReplyDelete