Thursday, June 11, 2009

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? #18

Just to give a rough quantitative summary of what a job search can look like (for those who don’t/didn’t do the whole ACPA/NASPA Placements):

I’ve applied for approximately 40 positions (including AmeriCorps VISTA positions).

I’ve had:

7 phone interviews

7 on-campus interviews (2 of which skipped the phone interview step)

1 offer (AmeriCorps), which I turned down

I do not know how typical this is, as far as numbers go, but it’s an example.

Otherwise, not much is new. I have been playing phone tag with the Director from AMC. Since he hasn’t been insistent about calling me back I am assuming he is NOT offering me the position I interviewed for. Disappointing. I have one more on-campus interview next week and I should hear back from the other two institutions where I interviewed within the next week.

4 comments:

  1. They say its the 1/3, 1/3, 2/3 rule

    1/3 of the positions you apply to give you a phone interview.

    1/3 of the phone interviews give you on campus interviews

    2/3 of your on campus interviews will result in offers.

    That's the brief Housing rule... maybe different for other student affairs.

    -S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm applying for anything but housing... (but hoping for international student advising/study abroad etc) Have applied to 60 positions, and have received interviews for 4 of them. Received second interview for all of the 4 (one of which is next week) but no offers yet. Have been searching for 3.5 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question for the Anonymous commenter hoping to go into international student advising and study abroad.

    After graduation, I will be doing the same. Do you have any tips or advice about searching for a job in international education or how it may differ from other fields in higher education?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So...why did you turn down the VISTA position you were offered? Just curious. I don't think you mentioned it before. I thought VISTA was one of your top choices.

    ReplyDelete