Friday, March 20, 2009

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? #9

So…I mentioned the job search got more interesting in my last blog, but never got around to saying why. So, let me elaborate.

A Story about Why Networking is Important
Or the alternative title: A Story about Why Who You Know is More Important than What You Know
(I don’t believe it should be like that, but I am learning that it is sometimes true.)

A certain undergraduate professor of mine, one of my mentors and, now that I have graduated, a dear friend, called me and asked me if I’d like a job at my alma mater. And I said, “TELL ME MORE!”

Apparently, he is good friends with the Director of Admissions (DA) and therefore, now has the inside track on what is going on in the admissions office, which is lucky for me. My professor, we’ll call him Dr. Smith (how original, right?), had lunch with said DA and learned of a future opening in his office. Dr. Smith immediately thought of me (it’s so nice to have friends/mentors/connections) and promptly “talked me up” to the Director, telling him of my qualifications and that I would be perfect for the job. As a result, DA is very interested in my candidacy (let’s keep in mind the job hasn’t even been officially announced/posted yet) and would like to see my application materials. Wow. I am quite flattered. Both that Dr. Smith was so wonderful to think of me (and sing my praises) and that the Director wants to see my resume, etc.

But then there is the question of “Would I want this job?” Now, I love my alma mater and think I could do very well as an admissions counselor. There are a few issues that give me pause, though. One: It is slightly outside my preferred geographic radius. But I think I could deal with that. Two: I am not sure what my future holds boyfriend-wise. There is the question of where will he get a job when he graduates next year and will I be moving to follow him? Some of you may say, “Well, he should follow you since you will have your job first.” And I would agree, except that it really depends on the institution and area where I end up. If I take the job at my alma mater, let’s call it AMC, there are not enough colleges in the immediate area (actually the two closest schools are 45 minutes away) to provide my boyfriend with enough job options. Therefore, it seems I would leave AMC within a year and I would feel bad doing that. I know there is a lot of turnover in Higher Ed, but I would feel like a traitor leaving so soon since it IS my alma mater.

Despite these reservations, within a few days of our chat, I sent Dr. Smith my cover letter, resume and references, which he forward to the DA. So now Mr. Director has my materials, but I probably won’t hear back from him for several weeks (maybe a month…) since the position hasn’t officially opened up yet. Why is this game all about waiting? I am not good at waiting. Patience is not always my virtue.

Speaking of waiting, I am still waiting to hear back from College A, but I have heard back from College B – and they still want me! I am shocked. I really did not think I interviewed well with them. That goes to show you never can tell with phone interviews (which is why, like my fellow blogger, I do not like them). So….apparently College B is checking my references and if that goes well I will be invited for a campus interview! Keep you fingers crossed!

(And congrats to Pat for landing those two phone interviews!)

1 comment:

  1. Re: Taking the job and leaving within a year ... cross that bridge when you come to it! You never know what the future holds, but I can tell you this: if you give up a great job for someone else, that decision will come back to bite you in the end.

    ReplyDelete