Saturday, March 14, 2009

Pat #6: A Stroke of Luck!

Since things have been eerily quiet on my end of the job search, I decided to revisit my online applications to check the status. Most of them haven’t even been touched! My credentials have just been sitting pretty on the internet for weeks, sad and unread. By far, this is the most frustrating process I’ve been through.

Upon checking the status of the last job I applied for, I realized that I completed the application, but never uploaded my resume or actually applied to the job. (This is a good indicator of how side tracked I’ve been lately!) I frantically uploaded the cover letter and resume that I had prepared for this position weeks earlier, hoping I hadn’t missed a major deadline.

Then something amazing happened.

The day after I finally uploaded, I received an email requesting a phone interview. WAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! It’s about damn time.

I received a phone call from that particular office yesterday with the intention to prepare me for the interview. Is this normal? We chatted for a half hour about the University, the office, and the dynamic. Not an interview, but yes, an initial screening of sorts.

I am starting to get really nervous and excited about my interview next week. I’m the kind of person that hates to talk on the phone (admittedly, sometimes I’ll ignore calls from my family and friends. Tisk, tisk). I like to ensure my interest through non-verbals, nodding and making stellar eye contact. All I’ve got over the phone is, “mmmhmmm,” “uh huh,” “okay,” and “oh.” I really don’t want to blow it—especially because this is what I train my students to do. This is a job I can see myself doing and in an office where I think I’d fit in quite well.

Just when I calmed myself down and started to really pump myself up, I received an email requesting an interview at another school! This is all happening so fast… not that I’m complaining or anything. Keep ‘em coming!

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy and excited for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete