Wednesday, March 4, 2009

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? #7

OMG! OMG! (and for me that is OH MY GOSH!) I have a phone interview! I HAVE A PHONE INTERVIEW! I am ssssssssssssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooo excited! And, I am sure, by the time it rolls around I will be equally as nervous. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

I feel I am a little behind in my blogging since I haven’t even talked about applying for this particular job. I got sidetracked talking about other things….But anyway, this is for an admissions position at a small, private college that I would L-O-V-E LOVE to work at. It is very similar to the institution where I completed my Bachelor’s. Plus it is in the immediate area. I applied to this position probably only a week and a half ago. I just looked, and they already pulled it off their HR website. I suppose that’s because admissions positions receive a lot of application submissions from qualified candidates in a short amount of time. So can I just say that IT’S SO AWESOME THAT I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I can’t freak out. I have done this before. A lot, it seems (for professional positions and when searching for an internship for last summer). I need to stay focused, calm. What do I need to do to prepare? What are they going to ask?

Phone interviews, I feel, can go one of two ways – really well or really bad. What’s the difference between the two? I’d like to say it’s all preparation, but I think it is also how well you click with the personality or personalities on the other end of the phone. And that is something you can’t prepare for or predict. What you can do is research and study about the institution and office for which you are interviewing. So I have already printed off information about the person with whom I am interviewing (he also coaches a sports team at the school - very good to know. I can talk about my interest and involvement with athletics), the mission of the school and information I deem “special qualities” this institution feels it has to offer its students.

Now, I have to study and then wait until the fateful day and hour when I can “sell myself” and show off what I know. Good Luck Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment