Sunday, April 12, 2009

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? #11

Happy Easter! It’s getting more difficult to find time to blog, with class work and INTERVIEWS piling up. :) I’ve had a steady stream of VISTA interviews, as I mentioned in my last entry, including an on-campus interview this past week, one the week before and another one this coming week. I am excited about these possibilities and feel that I have been interviewing well. I will soon see how well, as at least one school said they would be contacting me (with an offer or rejection) by Friday this week.

My interest in the VISTA opportunity is growing and my applications for more traditional Higher Ed positions have not been fruitful, so I am leaning toward accepting a VISTA position if it’s offered. Therefore, I am now entertaining thoughts of “Which position would I pick?” if I was offered a position from several schools. I think this is a possibility since I have had quite a few on-campus interviews.

Aspects I am considering are (in no particular order):
1) Location
2) Position duties – Working more with the community or directly with students? Established duties or is the position in a transition year?
3) Type of Room & Board – The college/university provides this and it varies from school to school. At a few universities I would be living with one or several roommates and at another I would have my own place. Housing ranges from a townhouse to a regular house to an apartment. Is cable and internet provided? Is there a dishwasher (silly for some, but I am tired of hand-washing dishes!)? Is there a garage? Will I be provided money to buy groceries or will I eat in the dining hall?
4) Supervisor – Did I like the person who would be my supervisor? Would we get along?
5) Office Environment – Is it friendly? How many people would I be working with? Would I get along with them?
6) Office Space – Cubicle or office? Window? Supplies?
7) Institutional Mission
8) Institutional Environment
9) Surrounding Area/Town/City – Friendly? Close to shopping, movies, other entertainment?

The institutional mission and environment are important to consider, but I when I applied for the VISTA positions, I had already narrowed down my choices to institutions whose mission and environment fit my preferences. Of course, I know how an institution looks on paper can be different that how it actually is in person, but so far, I feel I could fit at the places I’ve interviewed.

So what features are most important to me? Right now, I am not sure. I have been constantly thinking about the difference in the two schools where I’ve already interviewed and I like certain differing aspects of both institutions/jobs. And then, before I drive myself crazy, I have to tell myself not to jump the gun. I haven’t been offered any position yet, so I can think about these things, but the time for stressing about a decision is not now. If the time does come, I will have to make a pro and con list….but even that may not help me…

I am horrible at making decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment